Friday, February 5, 2010

Dekada '70


I've just finished reading this wonderful novel by Lualhati Bautista. It was a requirement for school. We watched the film starring Vilma Santos but I still decided on reading the book.

Like Ricky Lee's Para Kay B, this one was a bit hard to put down. Although, this book seems to be a hybrid of a novel and a history lesson since several paragraphs described the situation in the Philippines during the Martial Law [to make it worse, the history lesson was in Filipino]. Nevertheless, I had fun reading the book. The story was really really rich, showing most, if not all, of the problems that an average family goes through during the Marcos Administration. I didn't finish it as soon as I did with Para Kay B though. Actually, I started reading this BEFORE Ricky Lee's novel. That's one of the reasons why I didn't finish this earlier. I got too distracted with other novels :))

I'm reading Lalaki Sa Dilim by Benjamin P. Pascual now, but I've already returned the book to Emil. I'm planning on buying a copy tomorrow so I could continue reading it. That would be the next target of my "review" :))

Overall Score: 8.5 - Some parts are too boring. I never liked history lessons IN FILIPINO, but it's still lovable enough for me to finish it. :))

No comments:

Post a Comment